Sunday, November 18, 2007

Finding a balance, indeed

Life is a pendulum, and it always swings back. I am feeling better about my classroom, starting to think positive thoughts about what I can change, things I can do; and actually getting excited about moving in a new direction, rather than feeling so stuck and stymied. It just takes time.

I started posting a daily problem for the kids to solve on an index card (so I can quickly see their thinking, sort them into piles, and know the needs I should address). I also decided to take a couple of days (it's convenient to do it next week, which only has two days) to step back and focus on division before moving on to the next chapter. I am also going to not only re-assign desks, which I do every three weeks, but turn all the desks a different direction, so it's easier for kids to focus on me, and harder for them to pay so much attention to each other. And I am going to assign seats on the carpet for group times. They will whine, but in the end I hope it will make things smoother for all of us. We'll see.

I'm not sure what helped me turn this around in my head, from a problem to an opportunity for change and growth, but I want to try to remember how it feels, and to keep finding that balance whenever I can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go, Teach!