Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A Mandatory reunion weekend in Mexico

There is lots to say about my recent trip to Valle de Bravo, Mexico, with some of my best college friends, and I don't have the time now to do it all justice, but I did want to post some pictures for my (few) loyal readers. So mom, click here.

The trip started last Wednesday with my arrival in Mexico City (D. F., for those in the know), where Dan was waiting at a bar, aptly named Freedom. We ate some lunch while we waited for the rest of the gang, who were coming in from Seattle. M and V headed out to sightsee around the city with Dan's sister, while Dan and N and I hopped in a cab and were on our way to Valle. We got there late, but with enough time to survey our digs, a great little three and a half bedroom house just blocks from the central plaza, or zocalo. We ate dinner on the sidewalk of a restaurant across from the church -- I tried nopales (prickly pear cactus) for the first time, and found it pretty bland. The food in general was very different from what we are used to getting in Sayulita -- the town is famous for trout, artichokes, and blackberries! Not your typical Tex-Mex.

The next day we spent most of the morning hanging out with Dan's family - his papi, his mom, and his dad. (He was born in Mexico, but left when he was little, and was raised mostly by his mom and step-dad, who he calls Dad. His Mexican father is now on his fifth wife. Amazingly, they all get along great!) They were in the full swing of party-planning for the big fiesta on Sunday, held to celebrate Dan's upcoming wedding. After eating more than was really good for us, we extricated ourselves for a horseback ride, promising to return for dinner.

It took a while to find anyone renting horses, but after several mis-directions, we ended up taking a taxi to Velo de Novia, the name of a local park and beautiful waterfall. (We think it means "Bridal Veil".) Lo and behold, there was a man on a horse, who told us to stay right there while he brought us three more. The ride was beautiful -- along a cliffside path past the waterfall, then up up up the side of a mountain, ending up at an overlook which gave amazing views of the man-made lake which makes Valle such a popular retreat for the Mexico City well-heeled. Of course we were late for dinner. However, meals in Mexico seem to be a marathon sport, and before we were done, more folks arrived and more seats were found at the table. The newcomers included L, Dan's bride-to-be, her parents, and an old friend, Lee. L and Lee returned to the town house with us, and we settled in for the night.

Now I am off to bed for the night, but I will return with tales of water-skiing, tequila drinking, and dancing our feet off. I bet you can't wait.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read your blog too!!!

-Willow

M said...

Me too, and I look forward to the next installment of the Mexican adventure!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Mom note - I finally found the photos! Great shots, so beautiful. Fun to see the old gang. Mom and Dad