Saturday, August 30, 2008

Belts...a girl's best friend

I've discovered in the last week or so that even if I haven't gained any weight (okay, maybe a pound), my clothes don't quite fit the way they used to. Luckily most of my pants were hip-huggers anyway, so my new waistline isn't a huge problem. Still, it's more comfortable not to button most of them.....yay for belts. I know a lot of pregnancy fashion advice says to steer clear, since belts will draw attention to that potential "problem area", but hey, if I'm wearing a belt, you can't tell my pants don't button!

I realize this solution won't last for long -- I hear belly bands are the next option, and I'm looking into them. Certainly some maternity wear will be required.....it just seems crazy to buy a bunch of new clothes that I won't wear for long (assuming I slim down enough to fit back into all my old stuff). So I'll stretch (no pun intended) my wardrobe for as long as I can, and just get a few new pieces here and there. It's too bad I don't have any friends my height who just had babies....

I still haven't told my students, although I think all the adults at school know by now. There are actually three of us having babies this year -- something in the water last spring? I'm the only classroom teacher, though, and I'm not sure when to spring the news to the kids. Probably I'll talk it over with my principal, see what she thinks. Maybe once we find a long-term sub, so parents know there's a plan. I think I can keep it under my belt (okay, that pun was intended) for another month or so, at any rate.

Ultrasound in three weeks!

1 comment:

M said...

Some Gap maternity yoga pants will go a LONG way in your wardrobe. I got two (long and capri) as did most of the pregnant women I know. We all missed them post-partum; they were that great.

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?searchCID=25781&pid=582780&scid=582780002&vid=1

I've also had friends use rubber bands to "button" their non-maternity pants. Works for a while, as long as you wear a long shirt!

I suggest investing more in comfy pants/bottoms. Loose/baggy shirts you probably already have lying around should do all right until the very end, when you will have to cave and buy some "there is a pumpkin in my abdomen" shirts!