Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Gardening


I spent lots of money at the nursery this morning...and everything was 40% off. Bonus. I have long pondered what to do with the mostly shaded flowerbed in my front yard. I inherited several large bunches of daylilies when I moved in, and I planted lots of tulips right away which are lovely in the springtime, but as soon as the tulips die, it looks pretty desolate. We took the first step when we planted two evergreen shrubs this May, and today I implemented my new plan. It involves six different varieties of hostas, at least some of which are blooming, wooly speedwell with tall spikes of purple flowers, some lavender for the sunny spots, and sedum to go with the woolly thyme that we planted last year. I also moved some of the flagstones, so I have a straighter path from the faucet -- now the hose won't do so much damage. I dug up some of my tulip bulbs in the process, and I'll replant those in new spots. They will hopefully grow and bloom while the hostas are still dormant. So far it looks good! Wish me luck.

No comments: